How to connect to this kind of cable?

Hi,

I’m new here. I’d like to buy a Turris Omnia router, to replace the router I get from my internet provider. The motivation is to improve the performance of the Internet at home, by using a router with hopefully (probably) better specs.

I have this kind of connection which my current router uses:

I saw that Omnia uses an SFP connection? or a WAN connection that uses RJ45? Anyway I’d be happy to get guidance on this.

This is an RJ-11 connector, which often is used for classic copper telephony lines, that nowadays also carry DSL signals. In that case you will not be able to connect this directly to your omnia, as it does not offer a in-built DSL modem. Either get a dedicated DSL-modem (in bridged mode), configure your existing router from your ISP to act as a pure bridge (not always possible) or buy a SFP-module that speaks DSL and that is both supported by your ISP and recognized by your omnia. I assume the “dedicated modem” option would be the easiest to get working.
Could you name your ISP and the connection speed you are currently using?

1 Like

If you wish connect RJ-11 to RJ-45 connector, you can.

For example one can simply abuse an RJ-45 to RJ-45 coupler to do so. BUT the bigger issue is what signal is carried over those lines and connectors. RJ-11 was/is the “classical” telephone connector un the U.S., so without any further knowledge I guess this is not going to be ethernet, and hence connecting this to any of the omnia’s ethernet ports is not going to end well…

2 Likes

My ISP is: https://www.bezeqint.net/english though I’m not sure you’ll find technical information straight in their website… I’m supposed to have a 100Mb internet speed.

Yea this option seems the nicest to me. Since I’m already buying hardware, I’d ideally like to have an open source hardware modem device as well, if that even exists.

Do you think I should speak to them before buying an Omnia? I’m just a bit skeptic as for how much they’ll want to help me over the phone - I’m probably the 1st person in my country that wants to buy such a router.

True, the english site is too limited, and for the other sites I am at a loss for Hebrew, sorry. But that never stopped me before, just because I can’t read something does not mean that google translate and wikipedia will not make me dangerous :wink:
If I understand correctly Bezeq is the old monopoly teleco of isreal, and they use VDSL2@FTTC for their 100Mbps plans, so in all likelyhood you need a vdsl2 modem that allows bridge mode and will work with your ISP (unless your ISP router can be configured into bridged-mode).

Not really, for lantiq/intel/maxlinear modems there exists an open sourced driver, but you still need to load a proprietary frmware blob. That said a few of these devices are supported by OpenWrt, mosltly based on the lantiq xrx200 architecture, some of the them, like the BT HomeHub5A can be gotten relatively cheap on ebay, already flashed to run OpenWrt.

Could be; but I bet they already have customers that use other routers so they will probably be able to help you in either setting their modem to bridge-mode or (potentially unofficially) tell you which bridgable-modem is compatible with their service.

1 Like

You are good :smile:.

OK so this is it - VDSL2 modem .

OK sounds good enough, I’m not a Free software fanatic. Running OpenWrt on such a dedicated Modem-only device sounds excellent. Though at this point I’m wondering - maybe I should just buy a router with vdsl2 support and install OpenWrt on it and KISS - have eventually only 1 device?

EDIT: BTW, what is e-bat?

A typo, should have been ebay, sorry…