Horrible signal, slow connection

Hello to all. I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong category, but honestly I’m not sure if the issue is with the hardware or the software. If I put this in the wrong place, I apologize, feel free to move it where it belongs.

I bought this router during the crowd funding period and I have never had good connectivity with it. I’ve read some people complaining that the issue was with the antennas, but I’m not entirely sure if that’s the case. I can’t stream netflix wirelessly in the upstairs bedroom, and I have a rather small house. I have tried to stream video using both a smart DVD player and an Roku stick, but both of them always lag out to the point where it is unusable. I don’t watch too much TV and I usually read books at night instead, but I want the ability to be able to do so from my bedroom. I have two laptops that I keep downstairs, both using Linux Mint 18. This is a screenshot showing the signal my laptop has, and it is no more than 30 feet away from the router with no doors in between. My neighbor’s signal next door is stronger than my own.

No complaints about the speed of wired connections; my Xbox is plugged in with Cat 5 and works just fine.

I generated logs prior to starting this post, and they are getting made now, albeit it says that they will contain sensitive information so I don’t want to upload the whole thing here. I am not a networking guy by trade and my knowledge of networking is limited, so if you can tell me what logs would best help someone diagnose the problem I will sanitize them and put them here.

I have tried looking up optimal settings for the 2.4 and 5ghz networks and changed them from auto, but that didn’t make any difference so I ended up putting them back to automatic. I may be making a newbie mistake somewhere, but I can’t find anything indicative of a problem.

My current version is:

turris
Model Turris Omnia
Firmware Version OpenWrt omnia 15.05 r47055 / LuCI 99f44f6487b785ccda359c3986e8606dd39dd111 branch (git-17.125.68803-99f44f6)
Kernel Version 4.4.77-967673b9d511e4292e3bcb76c9e064bc-0

I love the idea of open sourced technology, but I have to have it be usable from my whole house. I waited a long time before asking for help because I figured maybe it was just some bugs in the firmware as it was a new device, but it’s been a while and I can’t imagine that’s the problem at this point in time. Please let me know what information you need and I can upload it here for you. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

The first occurred to me this:
Step 1 - how is to set transmission power?
Step 2 - check the wires connection of antennas.
Step 3 - test signal quality 2.4 and 5 Mhz.
Step 5 - the router is located in the optimal position for the wifi (not hidden behind furniture, etc. )?

Here is a picture of the wire setup

And the signal and power information for both 5 and 2.4 networks. I’m also confused as to why is says 0 % for the five ghz network.

No, the router is not behind any furniture or blocked from view. I’ve always kept my routers in this location and never had any problems until I got the Omnia.

I live in an apartment (concrete wall) 14 * 7 m, the router is in the middle of the apartment.
My Power set:
16dB (39mW) - 5 MHz
13dB (17mW) - 2.4 Mhz … and I’m all right

Your transmitter 5 MHz is set to 20dB 100mW, !! it is not on maximum power, that is 23dB - 199mW

Okay, I changed that. I’ll see if that makes any difference. Still though, my house is small. So if it needs to be on maximum power in a two story townhouse to be usable, then anyone with a single family house is screwed.

I’m guessing that my smart DVD player is a 2.4Ghz, so no difference was made. Any ideas?

Problem is with 2,7 or 5 Mhz ?? How is set 2.4 ? Channel you have set to the free zone, where there is no neighbouring network ?

I’m also confused as to why is says 0 % for the five ghz network. - If no client is connected-then shows signal zero

That also confused me, because there were clients connected to that; I know that I had devices using that network at the time it showed 0%. This is all so strange.

The problem seems to be mainly with the 2.4Ghz network. Turning up the power on the 5ghz network seemed to help the signal with that one, at least a little bit.

There are plenty of other networks in the area, because I live in a townhouse and have a lot of neighbors close by. But still, I’ve lived here for 10 years and have always had wireless internet, but this never became a problem until I bought the Turris.

What channel 2.4 Mhz before and now?

How to look youre connected clients 2.4?

My 5 Mhz …

Just an idea that worked for me. I separated the SSIDs by giving different names, and i connected as many clients as possible to the 5GHz network. You might want to try that.

Bad signal is in the upper floor ?? If the antennas are more directional, their position must be tested …

I made all the recommendations given. I moved it to the upstairs in the middle of the house, I put the power on high for 5ghz, I put the 5ghz and 2.4 on different SSIDs, my signal is still pretty bad. My laptop is getting better signals from people in other houses than I have here. I have tried other channels, other widths, and no one is crossing paths with my wireless. My current bitrate is only 6mbit/s

Mode: Master | SSID: ItHertzWhenIP2
BSSID: 04:F0:21:24:03:F1 | Encryption: WPA2 PSK (TKIP, CCMP)
Channel: 56 (5.280 GHz) | Tx-Power: 23 dBm
Signal: -66 dBm | Noise: -102 dBm
Bitrate: 6.0 Mbit/s | Country: US

I eventually fixed the problem. This was accomplished by not using the Turris Omnia. I found my old Netgear 6700 that I bought many years ago and installed DD-WRT on it, and it performs many times better than the Turris did. I really wanted to believe in this project, that is why I crowd funded it. However it would seem that the hardware is just sub-par. No matter what configuration changes I made to it, the wireless signal was still garbage. It does have a lot of cool features, but that doesn’t matter if the wireless signal is so bad it’s barely usable. Maybe I got a dud, but I can’t spend any more time trying to get this thing to work right. I found this site where the author was having the same problem https://danrl.com/blog/2016/turris-omnia-additional-antennas/ emailed him, and he told me that he still hasn’t been able to fix this problem, so I know this issue isn’t isolated to only my router. I appreciate what you tried to do, as I really respect those making open source devices as alternatives to the closed source proprietary crap that is readily available, but the time has come to move on from this thing. Now I just need to figure out what to do with my 200 dollar paperweight.

You can return and claim goods …

Same situation here as @brokenwindows82 Also bought turris in crodwfunding and I think it’s a marvelous router BUT wireless signal is awful, specially the 2.4Ghz network. Devices in 2.4Ghz network suffers from disconnects, slow rates and bad coverage and this occurs since day 1. Doesn’t matter if I change the channel, the configuration, etc… Placing the router in a better spot can mitigate the problem, but is not a solution.

My question is: What’s the real deal here? Why we can adjust the wireless trasmit power over 16dBm? The regulations on my country allows 100mW for the 2.4 band but I can’t set over 19 (and in the forum people says that the maximum is 16dBm). When people talk in this forum about this issue always say the same: “you are breaking the law”, “be considered to your neighbors”, but I want to choose a trasmit power that is allowed by the law and should not be a problem to my neighbors. Is there any problem with wireless cards? Are those simple garbage?

I pledged for the complete router thinking that cz.nic would choose the best wireless cards available for such a piece of hardware like omnia, but some people replaced their wireless cards for Mikrotik cards and since then seems that their problems disappeared. I really don’t want to invest 70€ more on this router to have the wireless performance of a 50€ router.