Garmin products unable to use Wifi despite IP address attributed

Maybe it hit some internal black list. The 23/8 ip network had been reserved until 2010 and its neighbours are not that friendly (DoD mostly).

To see wheter it is DNS related, change the DHCP Server Config of your LAN interface, under Advanced Options: DHCP-Options. Change it to something like 6,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4 to distribute the google DNS server and bypass any turris DNS stuff.

For me, there was certainly an element of DNS initially, but changing to dnsmasq fixed that, now it seems to be some sort of issue with the conversation between the scales and gold.garmin.com (my other devices work fine!)

I’ve raised a ticket with Garmin plus sent them the following pcap file:

https://transfer.sh/isY1j/garminscalestcpdump.pcap

Hi, thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, using an external DNS like the google’s one didn’t solve the problem. Could it be related to filters and security settings in the Omnia ?
I’ll try to put back my old router and check if the scale is working fine in this setting.
I’ll let you know

I’ve just RMA’ed my scale back to Garmin - they’ve had all the pcap files I have conducted (both br-lan and pppoe-wan, I also sent them pcap’s of my Garmin Edge 1000 talking successfully to the servers, so I think that perhaps rules out the Garmin server side…

Dnsmasq works for the DNS aspect, the scale can get the address of the two places it visits, clock.garmin.com and gold.garmin.com - it just seems to not conclude what ever conversation it starts with gold.garmin.com.

I even tries stripping all teh rules out of the firewall but to no avail.

I am really hoping that the replacement Garmin scales will work! I’ll report back when they arrive (in about a week perhaps)

Option to assign different DNS servers to the Garmin included in this thread:

(unable to test as I don’t have the scales at the moment!)

Thanks for the update, just to be sure, updating /etc/config/dhcp is not enough ?
I did this and now, it connects, progress bar then fail…
should I install the custom package ?
I installed wireshark on my laptop but do not see the scale in the trace :frowning:
maybe because of the wifi card ? Is it possible to install it directly on the turris (or other tool to check what’s going on ?)

So my replacement Index Scales arrived from Garmin this week, they came with V2.4 software installed and worked right out of the box. I was worried that the issue might have been the V2.7 software as that is what was on the device I RMA’ed back to Garmin, so didn’t want to report back until it had updated itself to the 2.7.

I can confirm my Scales now work, V2.7 firmware. Nothing changed since my testing before I sent them back.

No information has been provided by Garmin, just a replacement device.

If you still have problems and you are still in warranty - I’d suggest RMA them.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. Did you apply all the changes (updated package and specific DNS) or did you revert to Turris factory settings with the new scale ?

I tried the revised kresd with no compression and nothing worked so I reverted back to dnsmasq which is handling both dhcp and dns for me at present.

2 Turris updates and 1 garmin connect later, things started to work without any specifics…
I’d love to know the reason behind in case it failed again in the near future…

Hello,

I have problem with connection to Wi-Fi with my Garmin Fenix 3 HR watch.
My watch can connect to any wifi network except Wi-Fi on Turris router.
I have two Turris routers. At home, at my office. Same problem on both Turris routers.
I already try set different channels, all possible Wi-Fi settings, First Wi-Fi card, second Wi-fi card… no luck.

No matter how many times I try, the watch times out with a “Network error. Try again later” message.

Any cheap Wi-Fi router works well with my Garmin watch.

Do you have any advice, what should I try to do?

Thanks

Jan

My Garmin Scale is also affected. I am experiencing no problems when I connect scale over mobile hotspot. But I cannot get it working over Turris.

I can see repeated DNS queries and responses in Wireshark. No communication with Garmin servers start. (exception NTP)

Interesting is that on wireless page in Turris I see Index Scale IP twice. Can that be the root cause?

Unfortunatly, following last night update, the scale is not able to connect to the Wifi anymore.
Other devices can connect to the WIFI though…
Where can I look to get an insight of what’s is (or isn’t) happening ?

Hi,

I do have the very same problem:
My Fenix 5X connects to the Turris, gets an IP issued and then times out with “Network error. Try again later”.
Connecting via my smartphone hotspot works like a charm.

@Bounours: as the last night’s (aka TurrisOS v.3.8) update included a new Wi-Fi driver it might be worth looking into what’s changed in detail. Perhaps @cynerd could help here?

Unfortunately I have no idea what is going on. I would suggest to debug what it tries to do with wireshark to see why it fails (for example if it can’t resolve some host name or establish some connection). But I have no garmin product at the moment to test it.

Also it seems to me that if you have ip address but can’t reach internet then it shouldn’t be wifi drivers fault (although I can’t rule it out completely).

Thanks for your replies. I don’t think the issue was with the driver but more with the resolver…
This morning, the scale was able to connect. I don’t if something as changer on the router or if Garmin was the culprit.
Thanks for your help

I had the same issue with an LG washing machine. DHCP logs and tcpdump showed that it was getting an IP address and resolving it’s necessary web service but going no further when using Knot as the DNS server. I resolved this by sending it to the Google DNS servers directly via a dchp config. Then today, I finally switched back to using dnsmasq-full as my DNS and DHCP server ( I’m sure Knot is great but given that dnsmasq-full supports DNSSEC, it seems that knot is only on the Omnia because Turris wrote it). Guess what? Having the washing machine use the dnsmasq DNS server rather than go external now works fine. There’s someting in the DNS responses from Knot that upset a sample of IoT/embedded devices. in my house of 30+ wifi clients, only the washing machine had this issue. I have the packet captures if they’re going to be useful.

I’m knot-resolver developer (not Turris) and certainly would be interested in what breaks the devices. On “big devices” the DNS is OK, right? (i.e. it’s not this issue where DNSSEC validation breaks when forwarding to some ISP’s servers?)