Fq_codel support and throughput

Will the OpenWRT on the Omnia have fq_codel or other qdiscs that are being developed to prevent bufferbloat? (see bufferbloat.net and CeroWRT)

If so, what kind of WAN <-> LAN throughput can you get with them active? The reason I ask is most routers supporting OpenWRT or CeroWRT currently seem to be limited to anywhere from 80 to 300 Mb/s when fq_codel is enabled.

1 Like

Hello, fq_codel is enabled by default. We measured about 940 Mbps on WAN <-> LAN.

2 Likes

Measuring fq_codel’s throughput is somewhat beside the point, as it’s principal use is to reduce inter-flow latency.

My measurements of the armada 385 chipset this is based on show that fq_codel may be enabled - but the excessive buffering and lack of BQL in the ethernet driver underneath it means it only rarely engages. There are a couple people working at improving this situation in the 4.4 kernel (including myself, but without spec sheets it’s hard).

A more needed point would be the hope that turris ships with a complete fq-codel + sqm-scripts solution to manage upstream and downstream bandwidth. This fixes providers that rate limit badly with excessive delay themselves - like nearly all dsl and cable ISPs.

I would love it if the folk testing this router would adopt the “flent.org” rrul, rrul_be, tcp_upload, and tcp_download tests while testing this box. They let you track your progress over time as to the network performance and reliability.

In particular, a bug in a less recent kernel had it completely lockup when a second full rate flow was sent to it. A bug in the linksys wifi (otherwise same chipset) would crop up only after 25 minutes of abuse. Etc.

1 Like