EU directive 2014/53/EU

How affect this directive your router?

Directive 53 is quite a beast. Could you specify, which article you have in mind?

I’m not native-english speaking, so i will have only a short answer:

One entry-point in this problematic is:
Save-WiFi
The latest changes from the FCC are not in this link, so as i remember correctly is, that
the manufacturer of a router (You) must prevent that e.g. open source-firmware can change the radio-settings from the country which the router is used (e. g. i can’t change my wifi-channel up to 20).
The EU-Directive is in this point identically (as i know).

Add. 9:02:
I see in an other post, that you are german-speaking(?), so an other link in german:
Description in German

Excuse me that I’m going on in English instead of German, but I don’t want to be impolite to the other members of the community.
When I talked to OpenWrt developers last summer they were really concerned about the statement of the FCC. But since then the FCC has changed it’s mind to a certain degree due to massive protests (here is an article in German on this topic: http://www.heise.de/netze/meldung/Funkregulierung-FCC-praezisiert-den-Firmware-Riegel-fuer-WLAN-Router-2921891.html). Now there is still a certain threat, but it doesn’t just affect open Firmware but literally every vendor of WiFi routers, so it isn’t Turris specific. In my opinion the FCC will further backpedal – they just weren’t aware of the consequences of such a regulation for the whole industry.

I dont think save wifi is problem. Problem would be if in binary of turris let you choose channels forbidden in your country. For example i have dlink router and i am using opensource DD-WRT. I can compile firmware in way that let use frequencies forbidden in my country (e.g. channel 120 and 124).

The router itself is not subject to the restrictions only the wifi modules.

AR/QCA-Wifi-modules together with upstream linux kernel drivers are quite restricted. They manage regulatory according to crda and driver-internal tables. Biggest subset in both wins. Was challenging getting my US-set AR9380 to work with channel 12+13 in germany. Got the card set to DE in the end and now it works but does not allow higher power output. Fine.

Creating a firmware image that is secure is possible and not that hard. Chromebooks have one. Secure Boot is a nice way.

FCC compatible? Probably yes. Secure for FCC? Should be yes.

Really keeps out alternative firmware? NO

As long as the first-stage bootloader is changable there is some way around (recompile u-boot, remove keys from flash, etc).

Short: As long as i am able to replace any antenna i am able to get any router out of certification as there are limits on EIRP not on out of RF stage power.

Sry for necro-posting… but in a comment on indiegogo Bedrich Kosata says “… but we try a different way of satisfying FCC conditions and still being open.”

i’d be interested in some details… i guess you need to lock the tx-power somehow (for the 5GHz card at least) and get some certification?