Dnsmasq vs kresd

Thankfully Foris does update the “dhcp_option ‘6,192.168.x.y’” setting itself. So I guess the best we can say is that LuCI is a foot-shooting mess and to just avoid it as best one can. :frowning:

1 Like

Generally, what can be done in Foris should be done there. DNS is the worst part on luci side AFAIK; the other parts should work OK, I think.

Hopefully future updates will fix LuCI’s issues. Thank you for your time and input, vcunat!

1 Like

I must support @Aragon with what he describes in hist summary post.

I am completely new user of Turris - my shiny new Turris MOX just arrived in mailbox on Friday - and I already spent like half a day trying to solve task, which usually took less than 5 minutes on any of my previous routers.
I just wanted my DHCP clients to be able to connect to the internet and resolve local hostnames. Simple thing I never thought about on any previous routers, but on Turris, it doesn’t work out of the box and there are lot of posts dating back to 2014 trying to solve this - sometimes by using horrible solutions.

I didn’t try to change any default setting or configuration of my MOX apart from name of the local domain, which I changed from default “lan”. That’s it, no other changes from default.

I ended with most of my Linux clients having only one line in /etc/resolv.conf, which was “domain DOMAIN_NAME”. No dns server defined there, so these clients were completely without internet. And when I finally found, that the fix is buried in advanced dhcp configuration of the LAN interface.

To be honest, I don’t even know which of the solutions fixed the resolving of the local hostnames, but it is definitely not a “good first experience” I was looking forward to while waiting for MOX…

Looks to me, like the main issue is that there are two configuration interfaces and neither can be used to set everything. When you combine it with non working default settings, it is a bit painful start for anyone new to this platform.

1 Like

I suspect MOX issues might be something completely else, also given that their Turris OS version is still called “alpha”. I’d expect it better not to mix it with Omnia topics unless it’s clear it manifests the same way for both. Your main problem seems that you didn’t get a good DNS resolver address/setting over the DHCP protocol from MOX to clients, which seems unrelated to this thread.

1 Like