Dnsmasq vs kresd

Omnia used to use dnsmasq by default. An auto-update introduced kresd some time in the past, and that became the new default.

I’m not trying to change the defaults. I’m just trying to make them work without strange quirks. With this new kresd default I have to know:

1. That its normal for LuCI to need the DNS server port set to 0 to disable dnsmasq’s DNS server and workaround kresd being the new default.
  2. That the LAN interface now needs another configuration workaround (dhcp_option ‘6,192.168.x.y’) to workaround the quirk introduced by (1) that makes dnsmasq stop advertising the router as a DNS server to LAN.
  3. If I or someone else ever changes the router’s LAN IP in LuCI, they have to know to update this configuration workaround in (2), or your LAN clients get served an invalid DNS server IP.

Whoever thought that wedging kresd in as the new default resolver must not care much about the usability of LuCI. Surely LuCI should have been updated appropriately so that the above quirks aren’t necessary?

3 Likes