Discussions about state of optional migration from Turris 3.x for advanced users

Why to upgrade? IMHO

1. Security.
  2. Nextcloud.
  3. Some problem with DNS resolver which should be resolved in 4.0 and newer. I don’t really remember what was it but I do remember that it was annoying.

Like I wrote - for how long it is highly experimental? Turris OS 4.0 was released more than 12 months ago. The version 5.0 almost 6 months ago and it is still a highly experimental process. Not experimental, not not recommended, it is highly experimental. Come on, after more than 12 months? BTW: TOS3 Migration does not mention anything experimental.

I won’t adore TO team just because. I am a demanding customer. That is the reason why I paid a small fortune for the retail version of TO. A software means a soft product. A changeable product. If you can really change it, it isn’t a software or a product.

I think it is obvious that TO is not a one-year hardware. You have to keep this in mind. You have to build a technological stack to able fulfil this fact. You have keep in mind that you are going to change a lot of things. These changes should be smooth (:x:) and easy (:heavy_check_mark:).

A fear point with the fact that TO is a geeky device but… Please, do not interchange correlation and causality.
It would be a really beneficial if this paradigm would be widely deprecated here. I don’t want to spent hours by reading Bash documentation or dozens of posts on www.forum.turris.cz and I think I am not alone.

To be constructive, I recommand to

1. Clean up the discussion about update and real solutions for issues in Optional migration from Turris OS 3.x for advanced users. 108 posts is just to much to read when you upgrade your TO and nothing is really working.
  2. Keep this section up-to-date. Maybe some dynamic list to GitLab issues related to upgrade and if there is a straightforward solution or fix for that, keep the links to the solution close to each other.
  3. Use a potential of this community. Award active community users by some real reward like yubikey fob or Turris MOX. @Maxmilian_Picmaus wrote an awesome notes about Samba use. Users like him deservers more than just likes on the post.
1 Like