Discussions about state of optional migration from Turris 3.x for advanced users

Manual migration from Turris OS 3.last to 5.last

After waiting for optional migration tool for some time (and doing some unsuccesful attempts to migrate) I decided that my configuration is reasonably simple (TO from Indiegogo campain, 2GB, 2x WiFi, HaaS, Ludus, Ripe Atlas, lxc, mail, …), so I could try to migrate manually… reflashing it using last medkit. Unfortunately, I used - as I learned later - corrupted USB stick (even though formating and checking under Win10 didn’t find any problems), thus first 3 attempts of reflashing TO by medkit were in wain (LOL if you want). Only after using another sound USB stick it was successful, so TO was on 5.1.last level.

Switching branch to HBK brought TO to 5.2.0 RC3. SFSG.

Initial guided tour brought internet (WAN) connection, I was able to set some innitial options to be able to use TO router.

In TO 3.x I created profile for SSH sessions to display some basic information, e.g. CPU temperature etc… and to mount two USB sticks for logs and containers etc… Unfortunately, there are a lot of changes: some functions like thermometer, /etc/openwrt_version, branch info and mounting USB does not work any more :frowning: I found that thermometer could be substituted by sensor command, but openwrt_version displays not openwrt version but most probably its hash (which is of no use), branch info could be picked another way - but mounting USB via /etc/config/fstab and/or /etc/fstab does not work. ReForris Storage section offers “Format and set” option for USB, as far as there are usefull data on them it is no go for me.

Fortunately, adding two lines to /etc/rc.local did help (I changed /srv directory to something more meaningful)
mount /dev/sda1 /usbLogRB
mount /dev/sdb1 /usbKont

Next steps are to set up WiFi, redirect logs, recreate containers, set up Haas, Ludus, Ripe Atlas etc… BTW, isn’t it overkill to have both Haas and Ludus?

Trying to rebuild crontab, I got an error:

root@TOjp:~# crontab -e
no crontab for root - using an empty one
/bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: not found
crontab: “/usr/bin/vi” exited with status 127

What is with vi editor? Let us see:

root@TOjp:~# find / -name vi

/bin/vi

Thus we need to create new symlink for it:

root@TOjp:~# ln -s /bin/vi /usr/bin/vi
root@TOjp:~# ls -l /bin/vi /usr/bin/vi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 May 12 02:00 /bin/vi → busybox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 May 13 11:24 /usr/bin/vi → /bin/vi

and at last I was able to edit crontab…

After it I set up WiFi, which is fortunately working. Then I started to redirect logs, setting symlinks for them in /etc/rc.local… it seems to work. SFSG.

TBC

NB is there any problem with Ludus? Trying to install it I got errors
root@TOjp:~# opkg update
root@TOjp:~# opkg install ludus-gui
Unknown package ‘ludus-gui’.
Collected errors:

• opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package ludus-gui.
    root@TOjp:~# opkg install ludus
    Unknown package ‘ludus’.
    Collected errors:
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package ludus.