DHCP ip assignment broken after update 7.0.0

We ran into some issue with our DHCP not issueing IP addresses on our guest networks anymore since we updated to 7.0.0 last weekend. Service seems to be up and running but there is just no answer to the client’s DHCP discover.
I suspect the same issue as described here: Omnia ethernet ports might be dead - #17 by Leonardo

So I checked on our configuration and found this:

Doesn’t look fine to me - bad thing is, I couldn’t change the assignments due to HTTP error 500 (I have no clue why this would happen)
So I wanted to change that assignments by CLI - but where? I have been searching like an hour or so without finding any configuration on that topic.
Anyone has an idea where to find that particular thing?

1 Like

@FFK The right place would be /etc/network/interfaces. It’s documentation it is at: [OpenWrt Wiki] Network configuration /etc/config/network.

Here are the relevant parts of the configuration I’m using (still on TurrisOS 6.5.2):

config interface 'loopback'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.0.0.0'
	option device 'lo'

config globals 'globals'

config interface 'lan'
	option proto 'static'
	option _turris_mode 'managed'
	option ip6assign '64'
	list ipaddr '172.30.42.1/24'
	option device 'br-lan'
	option ip6ifaceid '::1'
	option ip6hint '42'

config interface 'wan'
	option proto 'dhcp'
	option ipv6 '1'
	option device 'eth2'

config interface 'guest_turris'
	option enabled '1'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '10.111.222.1'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option device 'br-guest-turris'

config interface 'wan6'
	option proto 'dhcpv6'
	option iface_dslite '0'
	option device '@wan'
	option reqaddress 'try'
	option reqprefix '56'

config device 'br_lan'
	option name 'br-lan'
	option bridge_empty '1'
	list ports 'lan0'
	list ports 'lan1'
	list ports 'lan2'
	list ports 'lan3'
	list ports 'lan4'
	option type 'bridge'

config device 'br_guest_turris'
	option bridge_empty '1'
	option type 'bridge'
	option name 'br-guest-turris'

You can ignore all the ip6 options if you’re not using IPv6. And since you’re using VLANs, your config will look a bit more complicated.

DHCP configured is in /etc/config/dhcp (documentation) which should contain something like:

config dhcp 'lan'
	option interface 'lan'
	option start '2'
	option limit '240'
	option leasetime '12h'

config dhcp 'guest_turris'
	option interface 'guest_turris'
	option ignore '0'
	option start '100'
	option limit '150'
	option leasetime '3600'

Where you see, that the interface 'lan' and interface 'guest_turris' are configured as DHCP server.

If you’re problem is with the guest network: which ports/devices are you’re guests supposed to connect to? Ethernet (lan#) or WiFi? In case of Ethernet, some of the unused lan devices should be assigned to config device 'br_guest_turris'. For wireless interfaces, check /etc/config/wireless.

Which of the Nicht zugewiesen ports/devices would you expect where?

1 Like

Thanks for your fast reply. Of course I checked /etc/network/interfaces but actually I thought there might be more. I was not aware of the fact that Turris OS seems to match via the name of the interface. I managed to get the WAN back into place and then reForis also worked again without any errors.
I reconfigured it accordingly but the problem wasn’t solved though.

After some more time and investigation I found out that somehow the interface settings were messed up. I can not explain what exactly happened but when I changed the IP adresses of the failing interfaces and kind of “re-set-up” them everything was working fine again.
Strange issue I guess…

Thanks anyway since your post guided me and gave me the motivation to retry :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.