Chromecast disappears after few hours

I’m not so advanced user to know where to find logs with details like you describe.

Hi guys,
I still have a problem with my Chromecasts (two units - original and audio). I tried to update my Omnia to the latest update but nothing changed.

Chromecast is visible in connected devices but I can’t access it from any device running iOS or Android. I use the wifi1 module, because Chromecast could connect only to 2,4 GHz networks.

On my old router is everything working.

Any other idea?

Hello,
Write email to tech.support(at)turris(dot)cz

Hello!

I have the same issue with my Chromecast and with Bonjour on my NAS. Everything works for a while (minutes to hours) after rebooting, but after a while, nothing on the 5GHz network can see the Chromecast (on 2.4GHz) or the NAS (on ethernet).

Any idea what is happening? Is this a driver bug on the 5GHz card? I’m assuming it’s not a misconfiguration on my end, since it works for a while after a reboot…

I too am having this problem. Sometimes my phone will stop detecting the Chromecast. When that happens I can’t even ping the Chromecast from the phone anymore, though I can ping it from the router.

Maybe this will help?

This is a bit of code I used to need when I was running OpenWrt (Turris OS is based upon OpenWrt), and I had a Chromecast v1 on 2.4 Ghz which I needed to access from my PC/Smartphone on 5 GHz.

### Step 5/3: Get Chromecast to work across WLANS, see: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=48475
  if ! grep -q multicast_snooping /etc/rc.local; then
    sed -i '/exit/i echo "0" \> /sys/devices/virtual/net/br-lan/bridge/multicast_snooping' /etc/rc.local
                    echo "0"  > /sys/devices/virtual/net/br-lan/bridge/multicast_snooping 
  fi;

I don’t need it anymore, but now I have a Chromecast v2, and everything is on 5 Ghz.

Where would I put that?

I have a Chromecast 2 too, but I have stuff on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz, and the Chromecast can connect to either. I also have stuff on Ethernet.

Anyway, /sys/devices/virtual/net/br-lan/bridge/multicast_snooping already contains 0.

You don’t put it anywhere - it is a piece of script I used to run on a OpenWrt build system. That is, you only execute it once, and it makes a permanent change to /etc/rc.local.

Now thinking about it, a better way is:

# make the following modification to /etc/config/network
# config interface 'lan'
#   option igmp_snooping '0'
## or, simply execute the following:
uci set network.lan.igmp_snooping=0
uci commit; /etc/init.d/network reload

Actually, on my system, the value is still 1, did you already do one of the above?

I think so. I do have option igmp_snooping '0' in that file.

Both the phone and the Chromecast are currently on 5 GHz though, so that shouldn’t be a problem.