Cant' flash Turris - mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt

I did not use my Turris Omnia (Model RTROMO1) for 2 years, as my internet provider had a usable router included. Now that I have an internet provider with a crappy router again, I wanted to use the Turris again. When trying to flash it, I get these errors on the rescue console:

Searching for /srcmnt/omnia-medkit*.tar.gz on sda1
Found medkit file /srcmnt/omnia-medkit-latest.tar.gz on device sda1
[   17.990518] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt.
[   28.010518] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt.
[   28.015969] mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status 0xe00
[   28.079117] random: nonblocking pool is initialized
[   49.490784] mmc0: Got data interrupt 0x00100000 even though no data operation was in progress.
[   70.965621] mmc0: Got data interrupt 0x00100000 even though no data operation was in progress.
[   92.440458] mmc0: Got data interrupt 0x00100000 even though no data operation was in progress.
[  113.915294] mmc0: Got data interrupt 0x00100000 even though no data operation was in progress.
[  135.390132] mmc0: Got data interrupt 0x00100000 even though no data operation was in progress.
[  156.864968] mmc0: Got data interrupt 0x00100000 even though no data operation was in progress.
[  178.339802] mmc0: Got data interrupt 0x00100000 even though no data operation was in progress.
[  199.814640] mmc0: Got data interrupt 0x00100000 even though no data operation was in progress.
[  221.289477] mmc0: Got data interrupt 0x00100000 even though no data operation was in progress.
[  242.764313] mmc0: Got data interrupt 0x00100000 even though no data operation was in progress.
[  264.239149] mmc0: Got data interrupt 0x00100000 even though no data operation was in progress.
[  285.713986] mmc0: Got data interrupt 0x00100000 even though no data operation was in progress.

So it looks like there are some problem writing to the device mmc0. Does anyone have an idea on how to recover from this.

Moving to different group, maybe here someone has any idea…

Any hints on what I could try?

Try re-flash according to the Re-flash router
https://doc.turris.cz/doc/en/howto/omnia_factory_reset

Yes, this is what I was trying to do and it doesn’t work. When I try to reflash from USB, I get the error messages listed above…

Did you try different USB drives? Might be something wrong with the pen drive being used.

Yes, I tried 2 different sticks with the same result. The error looks more like a problem mit the eMMC than with the USB drive…

Then perhaps a better bet (than the user forum) to get this sorted is to open a support ticket https://support.turris.cz

I created a ticket, still waiting for an answer:
https://support.turris.cz/tickets.php?id=3772

Please let us know when you get a response. FYI: I am getting the same messages when trying to reflash the router. My suspicion (but I am 99.99% sure about that) is that the eMMC storage is dead.

I did not get an useful answer from the support. I just go try asked whether I was using LXC and that was it. I’m disappointed from the quality of the support.

Afaik a hardware reset of the eMMC is not possible from the uboot environment (via serial console).

Since you mentioned 2 years in the initial post it would seem that the device is beyond the warranty period or else you could try to to get a return merchandise authorization (RMA) through the vendor the device been purchased from, if there is no support forthcoming through the portal.

It would be a pity to have such device sitting bricked/dead.

Unfortunately there is no documentation whether the eMMC can be de-soldered and eventually replaced with another eMMC ship.

According to Stretch Goals (see https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/turris-omnia-hi-performance-open-source-router#/) warranty was extended to 3 years.

I created two support requests but I’m not getting any reaction. It’s about replacing a broken device. I bought it on Indiegogo and is less than 3 years only, so there should still be some warranty.

Does anyone know how to contact the Turris support team? Does anyone else have the problem of not getting any answers on support tickets?

I also have the error description in the forum:
https://forum.test.turris.cz/t/cant-flash-turris-mmc0-timeout-waiting-for-hardware-interrupt/9209?u=christian_kuhnel

I don’t think contacting them is the problem. Activity on the tickets will notify them (or some of them at least); I’m quite sure of that.

The team seems stretched at the seams and there are other reports of tickets on the support portal suffering delays.

Another issue with the support portal is that files cannot be attached, at least not via the web interface as resulting in a 404 error. Perhaps email attachments do work though.

So do you have any advice on how to actually get the support they promised?

So no one got back to you on the support tickets you raised? It took some time before support got to me on my tickets (10 days in one instance and 17 days in another).

I ended up returning the board to the seller for repair/replacement. They now have 30 days to come up with a solution. You should perhaps do the same thing as I don’t believe support will help you to resolve the issue remotely.

An alternative is to give up on eMMC, give up one internal slot for either a PCIe-USB adapter or an mSATA drive and boot from that device (see this link).