Can the Turis Omnia do multi/wan wifi?

hi,

please excuse me if this is a newbie question. But having read through 15 to 20 forum threads here - I haven’​t found “my answer” ​- ​but ​I have read ​a few that encourage me​ enough that it might be worth asking here. ​Plus the answers tend to be more informative than opinionated … and … “why you doing it like that dude?” type of answers.​

I have a very specific need (but I don’t think its unique as I see lots of similar questions asked elsewhere) - and have been scouring the internet for a solution for 18 months without success - and it looks like​the Turris Omnia ​’might’ be adaptable to suit my ‘need’.

I travel a lot (4-5 months p/a) and am in ​NEED of a very specific type of multi/wan type router - specifically to stay ‘connected’ for work - ​than for super speeds.​

The scenario:​

Even when away travelling (mainly OS) I need to work for 3-5 hours everyday of the year - but often spend another 1-3 hours juggling connections ​in resorts/hotels/accommodation.

More often than not I ALWAYS have access to 2 to 10 wifi connections.

• plus 2-3 mobile broadband hotspots - outputting wifi
    (but need to buy SIMs and occasionally need to get locals to setup depending on language etc)

• and on very rare​ occasions an ethernet port (but its rare - and then I dont really need the solution that Im seeking)

The 1-3 hours trying to stay connected everyday (when travelling) is not only frustrating and an expensive waste of time - but often a point of contention with my spouse.​

So the questions are.

Can I adapt the Turis Omnia to:

• receive multiple wifi inputs?
  • if so how many;
  • out the box?
  • theoretical potential?
  • I know it has a SIM slot so Im “assuming” it - can be used to connect to 4G LTE?
  • Can I use one or both USBs for additional wireless broadband modem redundancy?
  • Can more wifi or 4g LTE ‘shields’ be added?

In other words can the Turis Omnia be used to juggle the connections for me?

Also what failover, trunking or ​bonding is possible? (remembering Im more interested in staying connected to work - than getting super speeds.)

The ideal solution was devised a few years ago - called SLURPR - it did much of what I need - had 6 wifi inputs - unfortunately the DEV passed away and although there was lots of interest the idea wasnt pursued.

In case its important… I typically need to do web dev type WORK and the tools I need the constant access for (at a wireless G speed or better) include: FTP, http, https, scp, ssh, email etc (eg just staying online for the time Ive negotiated)

thanks in advance

no.

sorry but your needs are little bit unusual and I bet, that you really don’t need such device. (in world of roaming, 4G and AC wifi…) or at least I can’t imagine usage case.

Thanks DKN

but,

Ive been “roaming” for OVER 10 years - and can assure you Ive got multiple 4G and AC devices and I have to ‘juggle’ them all over the world - I do “need” - and am very specifically looking for a device - or one that I can adapt to my ‘needs’.

I AM after a device that can connect to an almost unlimited amount of wifi inputs - (or the MAX) because I can supply some via mobile broadband (but have to get SIMs etc)…

You might not be able to “imagine usage case” - but you don’t walk in my shoes. You probably don’t live the life I live or go to the special ‘need’ areas that I do.

I do - and I HAVE this NEED requirement - and having followed the “Slurpr” type threads for many years! I asked to avoid the “why you doing it like that dude?” answers?

thanks Dude

Is there any one whose been here longer than a month more than me … who cares to answer any of the specific questions asked re the potential of the Turris Omnia?

With the LTE perk (for example), you’re able to connect to 4G, yes. I’m afraid I can’t help you with your other questions but it’s definitely not the intended use case.

Are we talking about using it while staying at the hotel (for exampe) or while moving?

M4x

No, this device is not supporting many “wifi inputs”, it has only 2 wifi boards, so you can connect at time only to 2 networks, if used in “client” mode. To satisfy your needs you may get USB hub and put many USB WIFI dongles to it. But you will also have to write the software which will choose correct networks, etc. I dont think that there are a lot of people around with such specific requirements, so probably you wont be able to find ready solution )

Or pick up on the development & interested community regarding the device above to build something suitable for the Turris Omnia?

M4x

1 Like

Im constantly on the move - but typically its for when Im staying in an area for a few days plus. EG: not for when Im in transit - but once I get settled.

At a minimum the hotel or resort AND the room owner provide separate ‘wifi’ access plus I can often supply a mobile ‘wifi’ connection or 2.
But in many third world environments the mobile is as unreliable as the ‘wifi’. And getting SIMs for my mobile, tablet and mobile hotspots at the airport is not only the worlds most expensive option - but often unreliable.

I basically need a device that can connect to multiple ‘wifi’ inputs - the more the better.

Ideally I would arrive, try the provided wifi’s - if they were flakey I would take my other devices to the local markets (typically) and get a couple of local SIMs on different providers - having done a GSM tower site survey first.

So I can provide multiple wifi inputs and 4G dongles etc and continue to juggle it myself. Or I can get multiple Dovado’s and or a bonding router etc … etc…

What i really came here to ask is how does the Turris Omnia handle multiple WAN streams and what is the theoretical max of wifi/mobile broadband streams it can handle?

thanks Steve

I think you already got replied :smile:

1. OpenWRT is not designed to do what you want. Linux itself can support multiwan, but with OpenWRT you will need to write all the code to select network, aggregate if possible, etc.
  2. Out of the box turris will be able to handle up to 2 WIFI streams at time. If you need more - you will have to add USB adapters for WIFI or GSM networks. 1 adapter - 1 stream.
  3. Software needs to be written to choose most “reliable” network, adjust routing, etc.

So as it was already pointed in this thread - it is very specific needs and Turris goals are different. Also, i am not sure that “wifi aggregation” is really doable task, for a number of reasons:

• At least on 2.4Ghz some of the channels overlaps, so you will get interference’s and AFAIR only 3 non-overlapped channels.
  • Every channel will have own ip, so to aggregate bandwith you will have to setup some kind of VPN which will be able to get traffic from the all interfaces. I am not aware of such software.
  • Some kind of configuration GUI will need to be written, to assign SSID passwords, enable-disable specific ssids, show channel quality, etc.

From my POV it is a lot of work with very unclear outcome. And again, i am not expecting that you will find any ready-to-use solution on market. Also i personally think that it would be much easier to implement with set of cheap micro “hotel” routers + some kind of smart switch to manage their configuration and traffic.

Thanks Sam,
That’s what I do now. Lug around multiple Dovados (which are Great - especially the Tiny AC’s) and bonding router.)
And their is software… Eg Speedify for Mac & Windows 10 that does it.
I expected to add more cards/shields etc but was hoping to consolidate into one device that was upgradeable and save me some valuable luggage space.
I think I know now that the Turris Omnia isn’t what I’m looking for. Thanks everyone.

As others already suggested I’d use USB sticks since they are small and easy to run. Having three additional network interfaces isn’t a problem. The problem rather is the routing: how do you detect how well a link is still working and how do you react (i.e. adapt the routing table).

An additional problem will be the protocols you run on top of these connections: most applications won’t support traffic coming from different IP addresses within one stream. Yes, there are approaches like multipath TCP but if the remote server(s) aren’t under your control you probably won’t be able to use it.

What you could do is use a (well-connected) server as a proxy in combination with a (rather aggressively configured) routing protocol which constantly switches to the best available path. For your connections to the server you’d have to use some tunneling protocol.

Yet another (radically different) option: get a satellite modem with coverage for the areas you travel to. A tiny bit more costly but gives you true independance. And you’ll be the coolest kid on the block. :wink:

@Tirrawarra

Have you reached out to Dovado with your needs?
Perhaps there’s something for them to look into as they are one of those companies in the forefront of mobile broadband.

Just use mwan3. No problem there.

The things Tirrawarra wants are definitely possible, but you probably have to script some bits. Especially you would need a “database” of all the hotel etc. wifi connections so you can automate the connection process. mwan3 can handle all the interfaces and do failover etc… But you will have disruption of existing tcp connections and change of ip adress when that happens.