Can be Turris Mox used for?

I want have Turris Mox as a router for traveling when I am out my home network which is running Turris Omnia as a main router (with OpenVPN server and Adblock installed)

Here are my ideas:

Wi-Fi connectivity

• In case there is public Wi-Fi network (e.g. in hotel) I want to get connection from that Wi-Fi (WAN) and create my own Wi-Fi (LAN). Turris Mox should run OpenVPN client to my home Turris Omnia (with OpenVPN server running).

• In this case any RJ45 port should be part of LAN if I want to connect something that has only RJ45 connectivity e.g. computer without Wi-Fi or another switch

• Also if there are some security requirements (like Wi-Fi password, portals) Turris Mox should handle it, in other words to be able to connect to any kind of Wi-Fi network (open, secure, MAC filtering, OTP passwords etc.)

RJ45 connectivity

• In case there is internet connectivity provided via cable (obviously RJ45) e.g. in hotel, I want to get connection from that WAN and create my own Wi-Fi (LAN).This is pretty much standard router functionality, but I want Turris Mox to run OpenVPN client to my home Turris Omnia (with OpenVPN server running).

Main reason is security to cover all my connected devices from public network, have access to services at home. In both scenarios DHCP/DNS should be running on Turris Mox

Would be Turris Mox suitable for this?
Or can you recommend any other small router for such purposes?

Thanks for your ideas.

Honza K.

1 Like

Yes it is, I did the same with 2 Turris Omnias, so MOX running TurrisOS will work, too.

Alternative might be: https://www.gl-inet.com/ar750/

But I don‘t have any experience with this router