Best way to set up a PBX

I am trying to set up a voip server/pbx on the turris omnia to use the sip accounts from my isp.

Before using the omnia, i used a router with an integrated modem and a voip/pbx server of some sort.
With the old router my voip connections looked like this: voip phone <-LAN-> router voip-server <-WAN-> isp voip
I am not sure if this is a good setup, but it avoids forwarding the voip ports directly to my phone, which is connected to my lan and may be insecure.

I found a howto for installing asterisk on openwrt, but i can only find the “luci-app-asterisk” package on my turris omnia.

my only idea so far is to install asterisk on a lxc and forwarding the needed ports to the container.

Questions:

• Are there any specific pbx packages for the turris omnia ?
  • Any howtos/guidelines on this topic specific for the turris omnia ?

Easiest way to find out of a package XXX for the Omnia is available is to go into the LuCI interface, System -> Software. Click on the “Available packages” tab, fill in your search term in Filter: and click “Find package”. If it’s available, it will show up there, you’ll get a list of all packages that have your search word or phrase in the title or description.

Searching for PBX returns a lot of packages, but not Asterix. So if you want to run it directly on the Omnia then you’re going to have to do it via LXC container.

If your LAN is insecure though, I think you really ought to be addressing that issue.

The other suggestion I could think of, is why not just connect the phone directly to the Omnia? Traffic won’t be going over the network then but directly between the two devices.

I would keep the number of packages installed directly on the turris omnia as few as possible. For instance the samba version is old and has several known security bugs. A project like Debian is much better in security than openwrt. Iow I would advise to install asterisk on a debian lxc container.

It appears there may be problems right now with compiling Asterisk on ARM processors, which the Omnia is. I don’t know if the Asterisk folks want to run on ARM and will fix it or not. If I find out I will report back.

But the rapsbx project provides asterisk for the rpi, which has arm architecture. So it can’t be a general problem?

so i compiled asterisk13 inside a debian lxc and it works fine so far.

i shoud specify what i mean by insecure:

scenario 1: port forwarding to voip phone, voip phone is compromised, attacker can access lan
scenario 2: port forwarding to lxc / asterisk, voip phone is connected to asterisk over lan; so incomming calls are handled by asterisk.

i think scenario 2 is more secure than handling calls directly with the voip phone, since the firmware of my voip phone is not up to date.

the next step would be to encapsulate all voip related traffic inside a vlan and connect the debian lxc and the voip phone to this vlan.

• is it possible to take one of the build-in ports LAN0-LAN4 of the turris omnia to directly access a vlan and not the lan?
  • thinking of qos and voip: could a vlan be beneficial? e.g. the turris omnia preferably routes packets from vlan <-> wan and then lan <-> wan

Hello rswtthub, so do you have a working PBX on your Omnia Turris meanwhile?

I am thinking to set one up as well, maybe with Sipgate or Localphone for outgoing calls. I am fine with some Debian Stretch / Devuan Ascii based LXC… but I´d prefer using precompiled packages. If I understand the output of rmadison correctly, they should be availabe, as it lists arm64, armel, armhf as architectures, which basically are all ARM architectures Debian supports¹.

I think I´d like to switch my Omnia Turris to always on once this works and use the PBX together with some cheap VoIP phone to finally replace my ISDN phone stuff. I didn´t see any cheap free software VoIP hardware phone, so I may go with one of the cheapest options from Tiptel or SNOME. Of cause I´d also integrate some softphone on the laptop.

[1] https://www.debian.org/ports/