Anything special about LXC dev passthrough on this?

I’ve been trying everything to get a USB device (Z-Wave stick) passed through to an LXC container and am having zero luck. Using global and container configurations of the cgroup nodes and the mount command. Using lxc-cgroup. Doing “ls” on the host of the lxc /dev/shows a lot of devices I don’t see using “ls” on the guest. I had some luck getting the device to appear using a manual mount --bind from the host to the guest dev directory, but it wasn’t visible within the guest.

Same problem here. I’m trying to pass through /dev/ttyUSB0. Device is available on host:

# ls /dev/ttyUSB* -la
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root      188,   0 Dec  7 22:13 /dev/ttyUSB0

I added the following to the container config:

lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 188:* rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 189:* rwm
lxc.mount.entry = /dev/bus/usb/001 dev/bus/usb/001 none bind,optional,create=dir
lxc.mount.entry = /dev/bus/usb/002 dev/bus/usb/002 none bind,optional,create=dir
lxc.mount.entry = /dev/bus/usb/003 dev/bus/usb/003 none bind,optional,create=dir
lxc.mount.entry = /dev/bus/usb/004 dev/bus/usb/004 none bind,optional,create=dir
lxc.mount.entry = /dev/ttyUSB0 dev/ttyUSB0  none bind,optional,create=file

But the device does not appear within the container? What am I missing? Any hint is appreciated.

I ultimately was able to get things working by putting " 0 0" at the end of the mount lines. Makes me wonder if the mounting mechanism is related to fstab.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your response.

That solved the issue for me as well!

You made my day. Cheers
Stephan