Adblock package release for turris omnia

Thanks for the note, works fine now.
Noteworthy how quickly you handle such things, really great work.
Keep it up :+1:

Best regards

ok, since my TO is running steady as a rock, i took the ( for a nOOb ) brave decision to install this. And it works!
One question…’'For SSL protected blocklist sources you need a suitable SSL library, e.g. ‘libustream-ssl’ or ‘built-in’. " i assume i have this running?

Yes, Turris Omnia ships by default with the full wget package version (incl. SSL support).

2 Likes
adblock - 3.5.5-2
luci-app-adblock - git-18.303.69133-1c076cd-1

Adblock enabled and apparently running, but status gives error:

# /etc/init.d/adblock enabled; echo $?

# grep adblock- /var/log/messages     
2018-11-02 10:35:44 info adblock-3.5.5-2[3287]: adblock instance started ::: action: reload, priority: 0, pid: 3287
2018-11-02 10:35:50 info adblock-3.5.5-2[3287]: blocklist with overall 31220 domains loaded successfully (Turris Omnia, OpenWrt omnia 15.05/3.10.8)

# nslookup securepubads.g.doubleclick.net localhost
Server:    127.0.0.1
Address 1: 127.0.0.1 localhost

# /etc/init.d/adblock status
::: adblock runtime information
/etc/rc.common: line 143: json_load_file: not found
WARNING: Variable 'data' does not exist or is not an array/object

How to fix?

You can’t - root cause is the ancient codebase of TurrisOS 3.x (it’s still based on Chaos Calmer). Please stay with adblock 3.4.x until Turris have released TurrisOS 4.x (same applies to the LuCI frontend!).

1 Like

I was under the impression 3.5.1 was the last release which still works on TOS 3.x. Is that correct?
Can you edit the first post to warn people to not run the latest versions?

@justsomeguy good idea, I’ve updated the first post accordingly - thanks!

Just a short notice/outlook regarding adblock 3.6.x (unfortunately only compatble with Turris 4.x, due to major LuCI changes).

Adblock 3.6 includes a new “DNS Query Report”, one of the most pihole like feature requests …:wink:

In LuCI it looks like this:

dns_report2

You’ll get a new “Top10” reporting and the last 50 requested domains. Whithin the domain list you can directly blacklist or whitelist these domains.

This report is also available via console (currently only the Top10 reporting part!).

To make use of this new feature, please install package “tcpdump-mini” and start with a fresh adblock config (use the “–force-maintainer” option during opkg install). By default tcpdump will be started as a background task and write the pcap files to “/tmp” (in a loop max. 5 files in chunks of 1 MByte) … of course, you could configure that to your needs.

Hopefully available soon on Turris devices, too! :wink:

2 Likes

Like your other good app travelmate.

Seems it will be a while yet.

Is it safe to get Blocklist Sources from the latest adblock and use them in the old one for v3.11.5? I see there are lots of changes in regex’s, but I am not sure if the old adblock can understand those.

Should work - just try it! :wink:

1 Like

Thx, this seems to be working.

Greetings,

currently using version 3.8.15 from the repo of TOS 5.0.0 HBK.
Since some things are new compared to the 3.5.5 version, I wanted to ask which settings are useful on the whole?
I already tried a little bit but he doesn’t want to block much. I also noticed that sometimes the service starts again after it is finished.
For a few tips I would be grateful.

Model: Turris Omnia 1GB
TOS Version: 5.0.0 HBK
Adblock: 3.8.15 from the repo

Thanks a lot

Hi,

after AdBlock update to 4.0.4, which sources do you recommend to use to block as much of ads as possible, but without Omnia overloading?

And second question. Is it possible to configure AdBlock to block only on specified network interfaces? E.g. block on LAN, but no VLAN.

Thanks

Currently I use these (plus black- and whitelist):

Nope, adblock works per dns instance.

Hopefully 4.0.4 behave better … BTW, the new “SafeSearch” function does not work with kresd ATM, cause kresd doesn’t support the full rpz syntax.

Ok, thanks, I will try those lists.

To my second question… So, the only way is LXC + PiHole…

To be honest, I never felt the need for an adblock free interface … and I would never use such fragile and ressource hungry lxc emulation plus pihole for vital things like DNS on a router.

Further options in my opinion:

• disable kresd and use (multiple) dnsmasq instances for DNS (I’ve never tested that on Turris)
  • Just reference an external DNS on clients which should use an unfiltered uplink

Try new TOS 5.1 (HBL) with Knot Resolver 5.0.1 first.

Well, kresd can apply rules (like RPZ) conditionally based on client’s netmask. It’s an easy extension to the usual policy rules, but I don’t know how difficult it is to integrate with the adblock part.

EDIT: I don’t think kresd version 5.0.1 helps with this in any way.