Adblock package release for turris omnia

For those, who have SSD/USB attached, I would highlight adb_dnsdir parameter. Default location is /etc/kresd, you can save a few writes, especially, if you running adblock reload extensivelly.

@didbot: Any estimation for 3.5 going to stable? 3.1.1 here, I decided I will maybe upgrade to that version. Not that something missing for me on 3.1.1… :slight_smile:

For OMNIA.
Is anything wrong with:

Repository("LEDE_snapshots_packages", "https://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/packages/arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3/packages/", { priority = 0, verification = "none" })
Repository("LEDE_snapshots_luci", "https://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/packages/arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3/luci/", { priority = 0, verification = "none" })
Install("adblock", { repository = {"LEDE_snapshots_packages"} })
Install("luci-app-adblock", { repository = {"LEDE_snapshots_luci"} })

in /etc/updater/conf.d/user.lua ?

Any estimation when turris repo will be updated? :wink: Still on 1.3.3 … sigh!
Anyway, I plan to push 3.5.1 to LEDE stable in 2-3 weeks.

Looks good to me, but I’ve never tested that by myself on my turris test device.

I would wish that too, @miska, @pepe, any rumours from backstage? :slight_smile:

Hi,
We created issue on our Gitlab 2 months ago.
Tomorrow I will try to ask if there’s something new regarding this issue.

Hello,
adblock has been running very reliably for a while now. Although I probably do not need it, I would like to test the mail notification. The description is a bit meager and I do not know how to create a config for msmtp with the provider data. It might be helpful if someone explains something in detail with an example and even contributes to the wiki page. I would be very grateful if someone finds the time to explain it.

@dibdot
I found a small spelling mistake in the Luci app. the package is called “msmtp” and is called “mstmp” in the description. Nothing big, but when I wanted to search it, it was not found. So I came across the mistake :slight_smile:

Keep up the good work with this great project!

Best regards!

Did you check the adblock online documentation with included msmtp example (linked in the first post)? There’s also a more general - turris specific - howto here: https://doc.turris.cz/doc/en/public/customemailnotif

Good catch, thank you! :wink:

Yes I have read it. But I’m a bit unsure. Do I have to edit the “msmtprc”? Do I set the system-wide account over that of the Turris notifications? There are only standard values and I do not want to break anything and there are other values … Or is it enough if I enter the mail recipient in the “adblock.notify” and make the file executable? The notification of msmtp is already active.

No problem, you’re welcome

if you have an already working msmtp account in your msmtprc you can just re-use this account for adblock notifications … edit adblock.notify and change the ‘mail_profile’ to your existing account, change the ‘mail_receiver’, make the file executable and test it locally (start the file directly). If you receive a mail your adblock notification setup is complete … :wink:

Sorry to ask, but I probably said something wrong and I just do not get it. The notification from the router works, everything is set in the foris interface. However, if I now edit the “msmtprc”, I do not want to break anything so the notification no longer works.
This looks like this:

#Example for a system wide configuration file

#A system wide configuration file is optional.
#If it exists, it usually defines a default account.
#This allows msmtp to be used like /usr/sbin/sendmail.
account default

#The SMTP smarthost.
host mailhub.oursite.example

#Construct envelope-from addresses of the form "user@oursite.example".
#auto_from on
#maildomain oursite.example

#Use TLS.
#tls on
#tls_trust_file /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

#Syslog logging with facility LOG_MAIL instead of the default LOG_USER.
syslog LOG_MAIL

Where do i have to change something now? Or just add an account? Replace everything?
From the description of the official github page I should change “msmtprc” like this:

[...]
defaults
auth            on
tls             on
tls_certcheck   off
timeout         5
syslog          LOG_MAIL
[...]
account         adb_notify
host            smtp.gmail.com
port            587
from            dev.adblock@gmail.com
user            dev.adblock
password        xxx

I am just finished with my Latin, either I think too complicated or do not understand it… :slight_smile:

I’ve quickly checked the notifications setup in FORIS, the setup saves all settings in /etc/config/user_notify and don’t use the standard /etc/msmtprc file. Therefore please make a backup of the msmtprc file and just replace the existing configuration with the example config (of course you have to change your personal mail settings & credentials) … it’s pretty straight forward.

The advantage for dnsmasq for myself is I’d already worked out a nice modular configuration for various features / controls that I’d wanted to set up, using dd-wrt. The main problem was that storage was so limited on the former router that I had to extensively pare down the blocklist(s). Mostly by putting higher-level blocks (e.g., domain rather than host) on domains with many, many listed entries.

It’s possible to define sets of configuration files, so I did:

00-master
01-basics
10-dhcp-hosts
12-custom
20-adblocking
21-addn-hosts
22-adblock-holes
23-mastodon-holes
24-sci-hub
25-bulkdomains
27-ads-n-banners
29-tld-blocks

… where 00-master listed the remainder. (You can also specify a config directory that obviates the need for the master file).

I’d manage that on my workstation under git and scp or rsync it to the router.

Files range from 9 - 1500+ lines. Breaking them out makes for much easier management.

Or, if I can do the equivalent under kresd / knot-resolver. I’m looking at those docs.

Hi dibdot

Thanks for all your work. Managed to set everything up. seems to work fine so far. doubleclick doesn’t resolve anyway. I’ve got a quick question regarding the “reload” crontab though. Can I just fill in

0 06 * * *    /etc/init.d/adblock reload

in Scheduled Tasks in luCI or do I have to manually add the line to /etc/crontab/root? How can I check that it’s working?

Also, I setup snapshot now. I imagine I have to get the new version pretty often. Is there a way to automate (if so, how?) the update process of the packages or to I have to wget the new one every time?

Thanks again.

[SOLVED] How to add delay in loading Adblock domains list

I do it this way - you can just execute these commands from the CLI:

echo # update adblock’s block list every day at 06:00 > /tmp/adblock.cron
echo 00 06 * * * /etc/init.d/adblock reload >> /tmp/adblock.cron
crontab /tmp/adblock.cron

You can check the result by executing crontab -l.

I warn you though, it’s the only scheduled job I have., so beware of overwriting any existing jobs.

its my first and only one now. thx it worked

Hi,

@dibdot thanks for great work.

I would like to ask what is recommended solution for using adb_list.overall file from different location (mounted sata or usb storage) - or also other files that are often written?

P.S: during installation using wiki instructions I discovered that root user (at least in my case) use wget from busybox that doesn’t support https. But that’s something I should debate elsewhere

Please consult the online documentation, you can overwrite the default export path with “adb_dnsdir” (via LuCI or via ssh/uci).

Sorry to hear that, at least my omnia router had wget full version pre-installed.
Of course you could select/configure other download tools - even busybox wget is supported, but only for http download sites.

Thanks, I’ve changed the adb_dnsdir

mine too, but under root the busybox wget is used :frowning: and I didn’t changed anything regarding busybox or wget so I don’t understand it.

how many domains aprox should be in database with “default” config? I’ve got:
+ overall_domains : 2851 (normal mode)

shouldn’t be higher number there? Or it could be related to wget reading only http lists? But it seems that “good” wget is used by adblock:
+ fetch_utility : /usr/bin/wget (built-in)

how can I check if https lists are downloaded?

That’s only your/user-defined preset - there is no autodetection.

please enable debug, re-run adblock and check the logs.

Hello,

since I personally do not like facebook, would it be possible to write such a blocklist? Maybe as a rule or in an update? Even the fact that I avoid this network, I see in Pakon individual devices connect to facebook. Probably through the like buttons.
What do you say to @dibdot. Of course, only optional

Best regards