Adblock package release for turris omnia

Well, the blacklist is a normal source, therefore you can enable/disable it like the others … regarding your domain input please note, that (as stated in the LuCI frontend) wildcards, regex or other weird encodings are not allowed. To block your example domain it’s enough to add the one liner u.scdn.co.

Thanks for your comprehensive installation instructions, I’ll add a link in the first post!

I still see ads in youtube videos. Any help please?

Please remember that you block always on (sub-)domain level (and not on page element level!) - the same applies to other projects like pihole. For remaining ads on advertising platforms like youtube, facebook etc. it’s likely that you need additional browser plugins which are hiding ads on DOM level, e.g. injecting JavaScript to skip the YouTube ads … anyway you’ll never get 100%.

1 Like

I tought I can take care of youtube on domain level. Never mind

No that will not work.
< offtopic> On computer OS level uBlock Origin and on Android YouTube AdAway (Xposed) < /offtopic>

Is Manual/backup mode needed? (Adblock package release for turris omnia)

I found, that forward_upstream '0' isnt needed, I have forwarding on and test went OK (nslookup securepubads.g.doubleclick.net localhost).

So now I am wondering about this backup method, if there is needed because lack of sha256sum, and how it is with updating domains… I dont see “Manual refresh” button in luci-app or something…

Correct; forwarding should make no difference to the blocking. (As long as the forwarded-to servers are reasonable, but you need that even without any blocking.)

correct, I fixed this in the first post and in the online doc for current release 3.1.

Backups will be used in case of download errors during adblock processing (e.g. a blocklist site is temporary not available) or during startup in backup mode. To refresh you blocklists setup an appropriate cron job (see online doc) or hit “Save & Apply” in LuCI.

1 Like

not very nice to " hijack" a software support thread for the adblock package with such useless poll. Open a separate forum thread for that, please.

1 Like

What does that forward_upstream '0' within /etc/config/resolver actually do?
I unfortunately cannot tell whether I disabled that option for adblock or not…

That’s the checkbox “use forwarding” in Foris.

2 Likes

Sorry for that and I apologise but I strongly disagree about uselessness of pool or question. IMHO many beginning users like me do not understand difference between solutions and what to choose

Thanks for moving out your poll … and no worries, ask adblock related questions whenever you like …

i also made a tutorial on how to do this in another, more general thread here:

Hopefully it will be useful for others as well. And FWIW, the aforementioned poll is here:

1 Like

@turris-admin I can’t no longer edit my first/initial post, that’s a pity for a package support thread - could you change that, please?!

There’s a new adblock update 3.1.1 with the following changes:

• new function to set/delete options in external uci config files
    • kresd: automated ‘rpz_file’ handling in /etc/config/resolver
    • firewall: automated ‘force_dns’ handling if you enable or disable adblock
  • support sha256sum (default) and md5sum for blocklist comparison & conditional dns restarts
  • cosmetics

It’s no longer required to manually add the rpz_file entry and the md5sum utility is supported to for conditional kresd restarts. :relaxed:

• caution: config file update required!

Can you be more specific? Running 3.0.3 on Omnia, considering smooth update and thinking about best procedure :slight_smile: (aint see any checksum/restart switches for config section@readme.md)

Thank you for your work!

Yes, of course …:relieved:
Download both packages to your routers /tmp directory, ssh to your router and install both packages via opkg package manager, e.g:

cd /tmp
wget https://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/packages/x86_64/packages/adblock_3.1.1-1_all.ipk
wget https://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/packages/x86_64/luci/luci-app-adblock_git-17.339.51318-de4c4b8-1_all.ipk
opkg install adblock_3.1.1-1_all.ipk --force-maintainer
opkg install luci-app-adblock_git-17.339.51318-de4c4b8-1_all.ipk

The ‘–force-maintainer’ option overwrite preexisting config files (you’ll find the original config files with a ‘.backup’ extension afterwards. Finally login to LuCI and configure adblock (again).

The checksum feature works fully automatically, without any user interaction.

1 Like

Guys, after the latest update of TurrisOS (3.9), the AdBlock page in LuCI does not work.
It prints only the following error message:

/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:460: Failed to execute cbi dispatcher target for entry '/admin/services/adblock'. The called action terminated with an exception: /usr/lib/lua/luci/cbi.lua:53: Model 'adblock' not found! stack traceback: [C]: in function 'assert' /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:460: in function 'dispatch' /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:141: in function </usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:140>

Any idea, how to fix it?

With TO v.3.9 the manually installed packages seem to get replaced with a quite old version of adblock: v.1.x
To me it looks like adblock is now part of the repo?

Thanks for your report. Please check the currently installed version with the following command:

opkg list_installed | grep adblock

This should print something like that ...

adblock - 3.1.1-1
luci-app-adblock - git-17.x

If not, please re-install both packages.