5GHz not working

After unpacking and connecting my Turris Omnia, I discovered that the 5GHz wireless network is not showing up in the inital setup pages nor in the LuCi dashboard.

Does anybody have a clue what is going on? Or how to enable the 5GHz network?

When opening up the Turris to tighten the antennas I took a picture of the inside, but everything seems to be connected right.
https://goo.gl/photos/WwJYpUK8Rs2zPBxy5

Hi, I don’t offer solution just linking similar issues (it seems that nobody is moderating this forum at the moment)

Nefunkční WiFi karty - Turris Omnia - Turris forum (in Czech)

Using 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi at the same time is not possible .
I only can choose between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. .

CU JB

Of course, one card, one channel. That is why your Omnia is equipped with two cards, the first one is dual-band*, the second one is 2.4 GHz only. If you don’t see the second card in the web interface, chances are there is some hardware fault. Open the router and check whether the small card is not loose or so.

*) Actually, you shouldn’t set the dual-band card to the 2,4 GHz mode since two out of three antennae are connected via band diplexers that are routing the 2.4 GHz band into the other card.

Hello Ondrej,

thanks for your help :slight_smile:.

I’ve just done a dummy replacement of the WLE200N2 card.
Now both WiFi cards are working and the PCI2 & PCI2 LED are blinking.

CU JB

Hi,

my 5 GHz card is not visible in the web interface and the LED on the front is not blinking. I have sent an email describing the issue to tech.support@turris.cz but haven’t received a reply in 5 days.

I have tripple checked that all cards are inserted securely and even switched the slots to see if it’s not working because of that. Restoring to factory defaults also doesn’t help.

Any suggestions? Can I expect a reply from tech support?

Thank you and kind regards

1 Like

It seems tech support is currently overwhelmed by large number of people asking questions about their order and shipment.

I tried the 5GHz card in the other slots and it’s a no-go, to me it seems to be a defective card.

Also sent an e-mail to turris on 15th of November and quickly received a response. Unfortunately after mailing back again asking how to send it back, it stays quiet from Turris side. They must be a bit busy at the moment :slight_smile:

Has anyone received a reply from tech support regarding this issue? I’m still waiting.

Hi,
our 5Ghz wifi is not working. It syas “wireless is disabled or not associated” when we try to activate it nothing happens.
Any ideas what to do?

Try to change country and try to change channel, i experienced the same problem earlier. Put the Transmit Power at 21 dBm if it is possible.

I have no idea what Czech holiday tech support is on. These routers are massively non-functional from a software perspective.
Your best bet is editing /etc/config/wireless via ssh and fucking with the channel. Also you can try ‘auto’ to see what channel it’s willing to actually use. Many if not most channels cause issues on one or both of the cards. If you’re using only the GUI/LuCI you’re basically fucked trying to use the Omnia at this point. Maybe in a couple months when the team decides to fix some critical bugs it will be a different story.

1 Like

It depends on the country. For me and many others it works fine. But hopefully they fix it soon for everyone.

It has i think EVERYTHING to do with channels. This morning when i woke up, grabbed my phone to check some news, however i had no wifi. When later on i turned on my laptop to have a cable connected between the laptop and the Omnia, suddenly i did had wifi there. Then i checked my smartphone again, it still did not have.

I then looked up the channel that it has hopped on, it was channel 149. Here in the Netherlands channels up to 140 are available (120,124,128 being weather radar channels). Also the transmit power was reduced to 14 dBm, instead of what i configured to be at 21 dBm.

Yesterday i still did not know, but i had the channel on 128 and it did work, but i guess the interference of the weather radar made it hop on a different channel. However i still have not managed to get it to work.

I also think that in the ath10k drivers the law-limitation haven’t been applied or else i would not be on channel 149 to begin with while only till channel 140 should be available to me. I also have the country set to “NL”(The Netherlands). So that is not the issue here.

You can check what configuration the system is actually using with a command: iw reg get

in EU (should not be different for CZ, NL, etc - question if it’s correctly implemented in drivers?) we can use up to channel 165 - but only with 25mW (14 dBm :wink: ) since channel 149.

I think the main question Turris team should focus on - is if it was properly tested (as it seems that with CZ country code - only country where they probably tested it - everything works fine) and if its issue of drivers or OS?

I would personally recommend use only the channels 36,40,44,48 in EU if possible/available.

That’s strange, appareantly it was on US :confused:

root@K-Router:~# iw reg get
country US: DFS-FCC
(2402 - 2467 @ 40), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
(5170 - 5250 @ 80), (N/A, 23), (N/A)
(5250 - 5330 @ 80), (N/A, 23), (0 ms), DFS
(5490 - 5730 @ 160), (N/A, 23), (0 ms), DFS
(5735 - 5835 @ 80), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
(57240 - 63720 @ 2160), (N/A, 40), (N/A)

I’ve set it on NL now.

root@K-Router:~# iw reg set NL
root@K-Router:~# iw reg get
country NL: DFS-ETSI
(2402 - 2482 @ 40), (N/A, 20), (N/A)
(5170 - 5250 @ 80), (N/A, 20), (N/A), NO-OUTDOOR
(5250 - 5330 @ 80), (N/A, 20), (0 ms), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
(5490 - 5710 @ 160), (N/A, 27), (0 ms), DFS
(5725 - 5875 @ 80), (N/A, 14), (N/A)
(57000 - 66000 @ 2160), (N/A, 40), (N/A)

Does this mean that on 2.4 GHz only 40 MHz is supported? Or how do i “read” those lines?

PS. If you use “iw reg set” command you need to re-set it after every reboot.

What if i put that command (iw reg set NL) in “rc.local”? Would that “fix” the issue?

Does this mean that on 2.4 GHz only 40 MHz is supported? Or how do i “read” those lines?

it means that minimum “power” value is not set/available and the maximum “power” value is 20 … the next NA means there are no other specs (DFS or so)