1617 Failed to create container

Hi Guys,
I have turris omnia - latest update 4.0.5

cannot create container:
ERROR: Couldn’t find a matching image
lxc-create: test-container: lxccontainer.c: create_run_template: 1617 Failed to create container from template
lxc-create: test-container: tools/lxc_create.c: main: 327 Failed to create container test-container
root@turris:~#

ALSO: LuCI show this error msg:
LXC Containers
Please note: For LXC Containers you need a custom OpenWrt image.
The image should include at least support for ‘kernel cgroups’, ‘kernel namespaces’ and ‘miscellaneous LXC related options’ plus ‘kmod-veth’ for optional network suppor

could you please advise how to fix it?

Thanks

How do you create the container? Please check that you use:

1. exact distribution names (e.g. Debian and not debian),
  2. exact release names (e.g. Buster and not buster),
  3. exact architecture names (always armv7l for Omnia where “l” means “lowercase L”).

Your console window should look like:

> lxc-create -n yourcontainer -t download
Distribution: 
Debian
Release: 
Buster
Architecture: 
armv7l
1 Like

May I ask you how did you also install LXC packages? There are two ways.

• The recommended way how to install LXC packages is to check the package list in the Foris web interface and press Save changes, this will install LXC packages also with kmod-veth package for optional network support with many others (as gnupg, gnupg-utils and so on).

• The other way is installing packages manually in CLI or LuCI, which is basically the same.

1 Like

I tried to create it from GUI - LuCI - no success no error note

then I tried to CLI:
exactly as you pointed out, but I wanted to install Ubuntu, please see the console output below:

root@turris:~# lxc-create --name test-container -t download
Setting up the GPG keyring
Downloading the image index

---
DIST    RELEASE ARCH    VARIANT BUILD
---
...blablabla...
Ubuntu  Xenial  armv7l  default 2020-02-19
Ubuntu  Xenial  aarch64 default 2020-02-19
Ubuntu  Bionic  armv7l  default 2020-02-19
Ubuntu  Bionic  aarch64 default 2020-02-19
Ubuntu  Eoan    armv7l  default 2020-02-19
Ubuntu  Eoan    aarch64 default 2020-02-19
---

Distribution: 
Ubuntu
Release: 
Bionic
Architecture: 
armv7l

Downloading the image index
Downloading the rootfs
ERROR: Failed to download http://repo.turris.cz/lxc//images/Ubuntu/Bionic/armv7l/2020-02-19/rootfs.tar.xz
lxc-create: test-container: lxccontainer.c: create_run_template: 1617 Failed to create container from template
lxc-create: test-container: tools/lxc_create.c: main: 327 Failed to create container test-container
root@turris:~#

Hi Pepe, I installed the packages from Foris web, during initial config.
I checked several times, it is checked in the menu.

think that concerns me is the NOTE on the top of the LXC countainer section in LuCI.

Please note: For LXC Containers you need a custom OpenWrt image.
The image should include at least support for ‘kernel cgroups’, ‘kernel namespaces’ and ‘miscellaneous LXC related options’ plus ‘kmod-veth’ for optional network support.

does it mean that the image that I downloaded “latestimage” is incorrect?
if yes, which one should I use?
I updated it today

I have: Linux version 4.14.162 (beast@slave10)

Can you check if your internet connection works? From the output is clear that it was not able to download tarball.

This is fine. The warning, which is there is static. It remains there if those things are enabled or installed. It could be improved, but that’s up to LuCI developers. We can potentially remove it as we have it enabled, but it will mean to create a patch and take maintain it if there will be any changes in the source code or take a look and see how to improve it and fix that how it should be, but any pull requests are welcome. :slight_smile:

internet is rock solid - I was connected to the router at the time.

I just tried to download it from a different ubuntu machine:
rootfs.tar.xz 100%[=======>] 78.24M 6.00MB/s in 17s

so DNS is OK as well

are there some verification command(check cmds) that I can use, to make sure everything is installed correctly?

i tried to wget the image and it went OK:

root@turris:~# wget http://repo.turris.cz/lxc//images/Ubuntu/Bionic/armv7l/2020-02-19/rootfs.tar.xz
URL transformed to HTTPS due to an HSTS policy
–2020-02-20 09:04:35-- https://repo.turris.cz/lxc//images/Ubuntu/Bionic/armv7l/2020-02-19/rootfs.tar.xz
Resolving repo.turris.cz… 217.31.192.69, 2001:1488:ac15:ff80::69
Connecting to repo.turris.cz|217.31.192.69|:443… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK
Length: 82042124 (78M) [application/x-tar]
Saving to: ‘rootfs.tar.xz’

rootfs.tar.xz.1 100%[========================================>] 78.24M 2.84MB/s in 27s

2020-02-20 09:05:03 (2.86 MB/s) - 'rootfs.tar.xz saved [82042124/82042124]

I’m running out of options here…

Hello,

I see from the last shared output that downloading the tarball manually on your router was successful by using command wget. May I ask you to download an LXC container once again to see if it works this time?
There should be a problem while first downloading so some parts of the package could be corrupted.
At this moment it seems there was just a small problem with the internet connection and because of that installation of LXC went wrong.

If it will work, then nice, if not, you should try some workaround with DNS forwarding.
If it works, then it’s good. If not and the issue is still the same that it failed to download the tarball, I suggest to forward your DNS queries to a different DNS service provider.
You can change your DNS configuration in the administration interface Foris, as you probably know. Look here on the Forwarding checkmark, if it is checked, uncheck it and the opposite.
If you had this option unchecked, after turning it on trying the connection again, probably with a reinstall of LXC, eventually try other servers, which you will find under the checkmark.

And if you are asking what it means, here is some explanation:
If forwarding is turned off, then Turris asks for information directly from the authoritative servers, which are spread across the Internet.
If forwarding is turned on, then all queries are sent to the DNS server of your provider. Your provider either sends the query into the Internet or responds to it directly from his local cache. After the Turris resolver gets an answer, it just checks signature validity.

You can read more about DNS forwarding in our documentation.

Try it and let us know.

I tried all variants for DNS, none of them help.

is there I older version of firmware that I can use to test containers?
if yes, where can I download it and what is the format of firmware?

Then there isn’t anything that we can do for now as you might want to to follow Getting help article in our documentation and send diagnostics to the Technical support.